St Alkmund's ChurchWebsite: www.stalkmundschurch.co.uk
St Alkmund's Square
St Alkmund’s is the only remaining open Anglican Church in the historic heart of Shrewsbury.
St. Alkmund’s Church was founded in the 10th century, possibly by Aethefleda, daughter of King Alfred. She claimed descent from Alkmund, a Northumbrian prince murdered circ AD 800 near Derby.
Of the mediaeval church only the tower and spire remain, dating from circa 1475 and forming part of Shrewsbury’s remarkable hilltop skyline.
Old St. Alkmund’s was demolished in the early 1790s, a victim of the panic that gripped Shrewsbury following the collapse of old St. Chad’s in 1788. The new St. Alkmund’s was at the cutting edge of the new technology of its day, having thirteen large windows framed in cast iron made at Coalbrookdate in the Ironbridge Gorge in east Shropshire. Of these windows only four survive, the remainder having been replaced by stone-traceried windows in a late 19th century re-working.
The chief ornament of the church is the east window with its cast iron frame filled with painted glass by Francis Eginton of Birmingham. Installed in October 1795 at a cost of 210 guineas, this window is a rare survival of Eginton’s work, the design being based on a painting by Guido Reni (1642) now in the Alte Pinakothek in Munich.
In the last ten years much repair work has been carried out in the church with generous support from English Heritage, the Georgian Group, Shropshire Historic Churches Trust and other charitable donors including the Friends of St. Alkmund’s.
St. Alkmund’s provides a tranquil haven in the historic centre of Shrewsbury and the doors are open every day from 9.30am to 5.00pm. There are regular church services (see below). The acoustics are excellent and the organ (on long loan from the Royal School of Church Music) is available for tuition in organ playing through the Sam Baker School of Music based in the church.
Sunday Eucharist at 10.00am
Thursday Eucharist at 10.30am
Weddings and funerals are conducted when required, as are Baptisms and other sacraments. The resident priest conducts a ministry of one-to-one Spiritual Accompaniment at the church by prior arrangement (Tel 01743 244668).
St. Alkmund’s is also the spiritual home of the Shropshire Army Cadet Force.
The church is available for hire for concerts, drama, lectures and conferences. It is not licensed for alcohol or amplified music. Currently the charges are £75, this includes use of the kitchen and car park, per letting. Telephone 01743 244668 or 01743 353424 for further information.